1. Ban G, Ban Z. 111AD Book of Han. See https://
2. Rao TSS, Andrade C. 2011 The MMR vaccine and
autism: sensation, refutation, retraction, and
fraud. Indian J. Psychiatry 53, 95– 96. (doi:10.
3. Hviid A, Hansen JV, F risc h M , Mel bye M. 2019
Measles, mumps, rubella vaccination and
autism: a nationwide cohort study. A nn.
Intern. Med. 170, 513– 520. (doi:10.7326/
4. Measles cases hit record high in the European
Region. 2018 WHO European Region,
Copenhagen, Denmark, 20 August 2018. See
5. Kestenbaum LA, Feemster KA. 2015 Identifying
and addressing vaccine hesitancy. Pediatr. Ann.
44, e71 –e75. (doi:10.3928/00904481-
6. Larson HJ. 2018 The biggest pandemic risk?
Viral misinformation. Nature 562, 309. (doi:10.
7. Watts J. 2018 We have 12 years to limit climate
change catastrophe, warns UN. The Guardian,8
October 2018. See https://www.theguardian.
8. Propaganda and practice. 2017 Human Rights
Watch 19 July 2017. See https://www.hrw.org/
9. Romano A. 2018 Twitter released 9 million
tweets from one Russian troll farm. Here’s what
we learned. Vox, 19 October 2018. See https://
10. Brownell KD, Warner KE. 2009 The perils of
ignoring history: Big Tobacco played dirty and
millions died. How similar is Big Food? Milbank
Q. 87, 259 –294. (doi:10.1111/j.1468-0009.
11. Smith J, Thompso n S, Lee K. 2017 Death
and taxes: the framing of the causes and
policy responses to the illicit tobacco trade in
Canadian newspapers. Cogent. Soc. Sci.
3, 1325054. (doi:10.1080/23311886.2017.
12. Masood E. 2018 Why academic freedom is
needed more than ever. Nature 563, 621 – 623.
13. Cillizza C. 2018 Donald Trump buried a climate
change report because ’I don’t believe it’. CNN,
27 November 2018. See https://edition.cnn.com/
14. Qiu L. 2018 Fact check of the day: the baseless
claim that climate scientists are ‘driven’ by
money. New York Times, 27 November 2018.
15. Harnad S. 1991 Post-Gutenberg galaxy: the
fourth revolution in the means of production of
knowledge. Public-Access Comput. Syst. Rev. 2,
39–53. See http://cogprints.org/1580/1/
16. Orwell G. 1943 Looking back on the
Spanish War. New Road, London. See
17. Keyes R. 2004 The post-truth era: dishonesty and
deception in contemporary life. New York, NY: St
Martin’s Press. (http://www.ralphkeyes.com/the-
18. Iyengar S, Massey DS. 2019 Scientific
communication in a post-truth society. Proc.
Natl Acad. Sci. USA 116, 7656 –7661. (doi:10.
19. Kofman A. 2018 Bruno Latour, the post-truth
philosopher, mounts a defence of science.
New York Times Magazine, 25 October 2018. See
20. Department for Universities, Innovations
and Skills. 2008 Public attitudes to science.
21. Funk C. 2017 Mixed messages about
public trust in science. Issues Sci.
Technol. 34. See https://issues.org/real-
22. Nichols T. 2017 The death of expertise: the
campaign against established knowledge and
why it matters. Oxford, UK: Oxford University
23. Siegel E. 2018 Science is not fake news. Forbes,
29 November 2018. See https://www.forbes.
24. Matlin SA, Mehta G, Krief A, Hopf H. 2017 The
scientific publishing conundrum: a perspective
from chemistry. Beilstein Magazine 3. (doi:10.
25. Brainard J, You J. 2018 What a massive
database of retracted papers reveals about
science publishing’s ‘death penalty’. Science,25
October 2018. (doi:10.1126/science.aav8384)
26. Eckert S, Sumner C, Krause T. 2018 Inside the
fake science factory. 2018 Presentation at DEF
CON 26, Las Vegas, 11 August. See https://
27. Lazer DMJ et al. 2018 The science of fake news.
Science 359, 1094 – 1096. (doi:10.1126/science.
28. Ciampaglia GL, Menczer F. 2018 Misinformation
and biases infect social media, both
intentionally and accidentally. The Conversation,
20 June 2018. See https://phys.org/news/
29. Temming MT. 2018 Scientists enlist
computers to hunt down fake news. Science
News For Students, 27 September 2018.
30. Gonzalez R. 2018 Facebook opens its private
servers to scientists studying fake news. Wired,
11 July 2018. See https://www.wired.com/story/
31. Rone J. 2018 Collateral damage: how
algorithms to counter ‘fake news’ threaten
citizen media in Bulgaria. London School of
Economics and Political Science, Media Policy
Project, published online 18 June 2018. See
32. UK Government. 2018 Social media and online
platforms as publishers. House of Lords Debate
Res. Briefing, 11 January 2018. See https://
33. Levin ST. 2018 Is Facebook a publisher? In
public it says no, but in court it says yes. The
Guardian, 3 July 2018. See https://www.
34. Jankowicz N. 2018 Social media self-regulation
has failed. Here’s what Congress can do about
it. Medium, 29 November 2018. See https://
35. World Economic Forum. 2018 Digital wildfires in
a hyperconnected world. Global risks 2013, 8th
edn. See http://reports.weforum.org/global-
36. Kalsnes B. 2018 Fake news. Oxford Research
Encyclopedias: Communication published online
September 2018. (doi:10.1093/acrefore/
37. CNeTS member provides expertise on
misinformation battle at AAAS conference.
CNetS 15 February 2019. See http://cnets.
38. What’s trending in fake news? Tools show what
stories go viral, and if bots are to blame. Science
Daily, 17 May 2018. See https://www.
39. Vosoughi S, Roy D, Aral S. 2018 The spread of
true and false news online. Science 359,
40. Rutjens BT. 2018 What makes people distrust
science? Surprisingly, not politics. Aeon,28May
2018. See https://aeon.co/ideas/what-makes-
41. WhatsApp selects 20 teams to curb fake news
globally, including in India. NDTV News
Service, 13 November 2018. See https://www.
teams-to-curb-fake-news-globally-inc ludin g-
royalsocietypublishing.org/journal/rsos R. Soc. open sci. 6: 190161